Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving and my attempt at a cranberry icebox pie

I have so much to be thankful for, so very much. We had a wonderful weekend. Most of it was quiet... But we spent the actual day with my boyfriend and his family... It was wonderful and everyone got along really well. I made my no sugar added cranberry sauce.

I'm working on where I'm going to school and moving to in the near future as well. Some big changes, but it's really exciting 8D.

I cut out the fabric for my best friend's socks... So one step in the right direction.

I just made a cranberry ice box pie...

1 package cranberries
1/3 cup corn starch
3/4 cup water
12 packets truvia or truvia substitute (My oldest says it needs more, but he doesn't like the tartness of cranberries, so keep that in mind as well 8D. So if you'd like it sweeter, more)

 put into a pot and over medium heat, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Stir vigorously. Allow it to thicken (takes one to two minutes). Let sit for a moment.

In this time, I made a nut-based pie crust. About 8 oz almonds, crushed (i used my coffee grinder from slivered almonds, but not everyone's coffee grinder would be up to the challenge... Another reason a magic bullet would be awesome 8D). Melt 1/4 cup butter and pour over crushed almonds. Heat for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Next time, I think with the cranberry mix, i will add a few oz of Greek yogurt. I'm finding this to be an excellent cream cheese alternative. That should make it creamier... Just a thought... A little more testing 8D

I also made my own no-sugar-added whipped cream... I will learn how to do this with Greek yogurt as well for a lower fat version. I used 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 3 truvia packets. I mixed with a hand mixture.

I put the cranberry mixture in the cooled pie crust, and placed in the refrigerator for a bit. I put the whipped cream topping on after the cranberry had already solidified.

I thought it was pretty good for my first attempt 8D





No comments: